Updated April 16, 2015
Locomotive Technician Apprentice
Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway Company is seeking persons with diesel mechanic and electrical training to participate in our locomotive technician apprenticeship program. Our locomotive mechanical department maintains our fleet of diesel locomotives. This work involves a wide variety of activities ranging from fueling locomotives to complete engine rebuilds. The work is performed primarily at our Brewster shop facility, but may require service at anylocation on the railroad.
Essential job functions include maintaining, repairing, inspecting, testing, overhauling, reconditioning, restructuring, machining, and rebuilding the locomotives, their
components and systems.
- Heavy mechanical repair experience- diesel and electric
- Formal diesel mechanic education training program is desired
- Verbal comprehension, communication, reasoning, and problem solving skills
- High School Diploma or GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid driver’s license
- Heavy work, lifting up to 85 pounds regularly and up to 100 pounds occasionally
- Stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, balance, climb, twist, work overhead, reach, walking on uneven surfaces, standing on hard surfaces for long periods
- Work safely at all times in compliance with all safety and operating rules
- Irregular work hours which may include overtime (Employees must be able to work any shift, any day of the week.)
- Complete required training
- Employees work in the shop and outdoors in all weather conditions
- Employees work in confined spaces and at or above elevated heights
Rate of pay
- $16.62 hr. starting rate of pay
- $17.27 after one year of training
- $19.88 upon completion of training
Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway Company provides a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision, dental, life insurance, short-term disability, railroad retirement, 401(k) plan, profit sharing, paid holidays, paid vacation, paid personal leave, and college scholarships for dependents.
Apply: Submit your resume via email to Joe Burley, Vice President Human Resources at email@example.com.