The Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway Company has undertaken many initiatives to minimize the impact of winter weather conditions on operations to provide you safe and reliable service. Your efforts to keep industry tracks clear of snow and ice will help ensure crews are able to provide consistent service. Many of the service disruptions center on accumulations of snow and ice. On the track, snow mostly constitutes a problem in switches, as well as at crossings – so once the snow is cleared, the problem is solved. Utilizing the following Winter Weather Plan on how to properly remove snow and ice from switches and crossings will aid in ensuring timely service during the winter months.
Winter Weather Plan
- Inspect industry track prior to service
- Clear the area from snow, debris and anything else that may disturb train movement
- Keep the ground surface level and clear of snow and debris on and around the derail and switches to ensure correct drainage
- Keep flange ways of tracks which run through private or public roads clear of ice and snow at all times
- Clear snow accumulation caused by vehicles and equipment crossing over tracks
- Clear snow which has slipped from adjacent roof tops onto the industry track
Please contact Customer Support if you have any questions, require further guidance, or if track conditions have impaired the ability to safely service your facility.